You can set intentions and make inspiration boards for all areas of life, including work, relationships, personal growth and home. And there are no set rules. The important thing is to bring your vision to life with images.
1. The first step is to find clarity on what you want to achieve. Ask yourself why, and use your journal to explore the reasons behind your goals to get to the core of your desires.
2. Choose a few keywords that sum up your intentions – they could be words like balance, abundance or healing, or combinations such as ageing gracefully, mindful eating and soulful connection.
3. Set aside a couple of hours of uninterrupted time just for yourself, and turn the occasion, if you like, into a ritual – brew some tea or coffee, light a scented candle, or some incense, turn your phone off , play some music.
4. Gather your source material – magazines, papers, photos, tickets, brochures – scissors, glue or double-sided tape, and some card to use as a base. You can use washi tape and coloured felt-tip pens to embellish your board, if you like, and use other materials as base, such as cork for example, instead of card.
5. Start tearing out images and cutting out words from your collection of material. Choose photos that evoke your intentions and make you feel your goal – images that set the scene for your vision.
6. When you think you have enough material, start making your board. Move images and words around until the collage feels right and then glue or tape them into place.
7. Follow your intuition and be playful – you’re making an inspiration board not putting together a business plan.
8. It’s fine to leave some blank spaces in your board, but if you prefer to fill all the space feel free to do it. The board is just for you, so don’t be afraid of doing it wrong. The only important thing is that you find it inspiring.
9. Once you’re happy with your inspiration board, keep it where you can see it often, as a reminder of your intentions.
This article was originally published in Issue 8, Breathe Magazine – Embrace Change .